Monday, June 30, 2008

Scoping out Playscapes

May I just say how thrilled I am at the great success of the wet felting base mats! I've posted a little pictorial of the method for these playscapes....
1. Lay about 3 inch thin pieces of wool perpendicuar to each other and then add more layers at 90 degree angles to each other up to about 5-6 layers..

2. For this playscape I used the last layer to sketch out where I wanted each element...

3. Squirt a tiny amount of dish soap, cover with a screen to hold down the layers and sponge on water, not too much or your fibers will float! Start lightly and then gradually add pressure, " like making paper", said Soapy Shazza....
4. When felted to soft felt stage (check the 'tent') that is, if you can pull it up like a tent or your skin! You are ready to full it!
5. Fulling (squeezing air out) can make or break your felt, so add some warm water, sushi mat it tightly, wrap and roll. You may want to tie it up or use an old towel too, keep unrolling to check progress and re-wrap another way to ensure even fulling..
6. This is drying, but I didn't felt it further as I want to needle felt and add some 3d items to it later....for fine flat felt, keep going and get your felt really flat and firm, no stretching should occur at the end...
I'll write up more of the tutorial later....The middle of the 3 session workshop continued today and being the impatient person I am, I couldn't wait to share the awesome work in progress of the students! Hope they don't mind....Of course I expected they would be great at this - but really, they are coming along so splendidly....More pics to come of the final pieces!!!

Soapy Shazza moulding her masterpiece..
Scissors went for an old oak stump and is creating her roots...
Cave dweller retreat is growing nicely...

No comments: