Friday, January 11, 2008

Art Heart



Something that is handcrafted with love, care and a little laughter will embody the makers spirit. This is shared with the child that plays with it, adding to the love. It is also an important lesson for a child to see that toys and dolls can be created. They understand the process and all the work that goes happily into every stitch. They see that it didn’t appear out of nowhere, or off a shelf from a store. When you give a child a doll whilst saying “I made this for you” it carries weight of meaning to the child and they will in turn create in their own world of imagination. What a gift!

I have always been an artist, I love to draw, paint, sculpt, dance, sing and play music (though not very accomplished at the latter). When I was introduced to working with fibre by a very talented friend I scoffed, “But I can’t even sew on a button!” It was true, I never had any interest to knit, crochet, embroider before, but then I’d never seen what could be done until I had my eyes opened to the Waldorf inspiration of soft dolls, natural elements to work with and the joy, beauty and warmth that characterizes each piece made.

I watched my Mum (also an artist at heart) marvel at my new found skills whilst making a doll for my son. I worked on the hair on my son’s doll the night she died, I could do nothing else and wanted it to be finished for her as well as for my son. She loved the feeling the warmth and softness of the doll and holding it to her heart.

I’m truly happy to work with my hands, I could spend hours listening to music provided mainly by the Hairy One, whilst sculpting wool (and sometimes do). Donovan Boy and Little Gandalf always enjoy the creations until they are ready for another home, which is usually something for school.

I spend my time dreaming up visions of three dimensional playscapes, cushion covers, bags, wall hangings and how to capture the perfect seasonal moment in a doll crafted with only a needle, wool and some art heart!

1 comment:

kat said...

thank you for telling me of your blog. utterly lovely.